Sunday, August 24, 2008

DevLink

Attended devlink this weekend. It turned out to be the best technological decision I've made. I learned so much, for instance, I attend ITT-Tech and have taken Visual Basics using Visual Studio.net I did not know, however, that that is not .NET. .NET actually has its own framework, and when people ask if you have worked with .NET they are actually asking about the framework, not Visual Studio. That is something that programmers at my school for one need to know and two would probably be happy to know. I met so many intelligent people, thank you to Brian Prince for introducing me to the community, and thank you to everyone else at devlink for making me feel so welcome. I am going to set up a user group here in nashville, and when I get all set up, will host a meeting, at which i will need speakers. If anyone is interested let me know and I will email you with details as soon as I get them all together. I also am going to try and host a give camp sometime, probably in the early spring. Finally I do hope to be able to attend CodeMash this winter! Again thank you to everyone this weekend it was wonderful. Now to go set up my usergroup...

6 comments:

Brian H. Prince said...

Great to see you blogging! Yes, VB.net is a language that sits on the .NET framework, and is 'executed' by the CLR. Visual Studio is a toolset to write VB.Net code, which uses the compiler underneath. Of course, you could just use notepad to write .NET, but we have found to result in a slight decrease in productivity and quality.

Unknown said...

I am happy to hear you enjoyed devLink and it was great meeting you. Nashville has a great .NET User Group that currently meets very close to ITT. The website will be undergoing a revision soon, but the important information is available on the current site http://nashdotnet.org.

Jim Holmes said...

Congrats on getting your blog up and rolling!

Keep that great passion you've got, and keep feeding it with lots of community involvement.

Corey Haines said...

It was great meeting you this weekend! Keep involved in the community, and we'll all benefit.

Michael said...

Awesome! Great to see you jumping into blogging. :-)

Hope to see you at Codemash in January!

Sarah said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! :)

It was great to meet you at devLink and I hope to see you around in the community!